Tuesday 16 August 2011

A Most Cheerful Hallway



The cowhide rug above (found in Egypt) sits in our hallway and gives me a little brush of happiness every time I pad across it in the morning in bare feet, usually on my way to make tea. I love that its round and soft, where everything else is rectangular and sharp. 


We've not finished decorating the hallway yet so the colours from the rug help add a bit of interest to the otherwise stark white/grey setting.



I love vintage furniture, but even more so when it has family history to it. Sitting above the rug are two beautiful chandeliers I inherited from my mother-in-law. We were given these last Christmas. We had just moved into our house and I knew they would be perfect in our hallway. I literally reverted to acting like a 5-year-old again on Christmas Day when I discovered what they were! (I had seen them being cleaned a couple of weeks before and completely fell in love with them).



As well as being pretty to look at when they're not turned on, they cast beautiful shadows across the walls when its dark. I love taking them in when I'm trundling up and down the stairs (which happens A LOT). 

No comments:

Post a Comment